11 May 2010

Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea

Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea .. is an animated film by Hayao Miyazaki, the same genius who did Spirited Away, for those of you who are familiar with Japanese anime. Anyway, it is also one of Sugarbabe 2's favourite movies, she'd been asking for this cake since last August, so I had no choice but to deliver.


My talented husband put his Warhammer miniature painting and figure sculpting skills to good use and helped me do the house and road. I am so married to the right guy, haha. The rocks are chocolate candy rocks which I literally had to beg a cake shop to sell to me. The car and ponyo figurine are actually bath toys from Japan, and the rest are sculpted from sugar gum paste. The base cake is a very rich Valrhona dark chocolate and coffee buttermilk cake (my 'go to'recipe for chocolate cakes!), with chocolate fudge icing. And oh, the green flock is dessicated coconut!

8 comments:

  1. i love ponyo and this cake just blew me away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG... this should go to the museum not tummy... we love Miyasaki at our house but there is no way I can imagine tackling this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's just beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I have fallen in love with this cake! We are hoping to make one as well, but I have a question. Where did you purchase the bath toys?? I found some on ebay for no less than $44.00! Thank you, and again this cake is amazing and beautiful! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Missus Curran

    Thank you for your compliments!! My husband bought the bath toys on a trip to Japan, I think they cost much less there! Unfortunately they didn't produce that many Ponyo figures ... so I think it's going to be a problem getting them outside Japan. If I didn't have the bath toy option, I would probably fashion the figures out of fondant. I have seen some Ponyo cakes on the Internet that use fondant figures. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. can you make my wedding cake?? how much will you charge?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for reading Sarah. Unfortunately, I don't have time currently to bake on a commercial basis. I'll definitely post here if that ever changes! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails